Specially selected recruits were sworn to secrecy and in the event of an invasion would hide out in the bunkers. The tunnel network and bunkers remain unchanged since the War ended, complete with plumbing and Bakelite light-switches.
Tottington Manor dates back to 1604 and many of the original features still remain, including oak beams and inglenook fireplaces. Tottington has been home to many over the centuries and the bedrooms feature previous owners’ names.
During World War II, Tottington was an important part of Churchill’s secret Auxiliary Unit set up to hamper a successful invasion by the German army. Seven secret bunkers exist under the manor, with tunnels and escape routes into the fields.
Coleshill Auxiliary Research
The Coleshill Auxiliary Research Team has researched the Auxiliary Unit's history at Tottington Manor.
Local historian, Stewart Angell has written a book on Secret Sussex Resistance 1940-44. Please email Tottington Manor for more details.
To view video footage of Tottington's tunnels, CLICK HERE.